Thursday, April 8, 2010

One Day Without Shoes

My feet hurt already and I've only been barefoot for a few hours.  I can't imagine doing every single day of life without shoes.  That's what literally millions of people do every day.  Here are some facts from TOMS Shoes:

In some developing nations, children must walk for miles to school, clean water and to seek medical help. 

Cuts and sores on feet can lead to serious infection. 

Often, children cannot attend school barefoot. 

In Ethiopia, approximately one million people are suffering from Podoconiosis, a debilitating and disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil. 

Podoconiosis is 100% preventable with basic foot hygiene and wearing shoes.

Not to 'stereotype', but I think a lot of times us Americans, in general, are pretty oblivious to the little things we have that others don't.  We know that we have big houses, nice cars, supermarkets, a free government, rights, jobs, etc.  But how often do we stop to think about the fact that we have things like, well, shoes. And clean water, band-aids, tylenol, snacks in the cupboard, the luxury of things like bathing suits - because we have time, money, or resources to go swimming in pools, at hotels, or even use the hose in our backyard to wash the car.  There are so many daily things that we have and use, and take for granted.  People around the world DON'T have these things.  Some people couldn't imagine what an entire grocery store full of food would even look like.  Or a closet FULL of shoes to CHOOSE from. 

So maybe today we'll think about it, just a little more than usual.  I know I am, and I'm thankful. Thankful to be reminded of what I have, and thankful that I actually have the power to do something to help others.  Do something for someone else today.  Here are some practical & affordable ways you can help people who are in desperate need:
  • Buy a pair of TOMS shoes so that a child somewhere gets a pair too
  • Buy a goat, a vegetable garden, a water purifier, etc. for a family through Oxfam International
  • Start a child sponsorship through World Vision or Compassion International (all it takes is the money you probably spend on Starbucks each month - or maybe even half of that much)
  • Play free games online like sudoku and solitaire to raise money through Mercy Corps
There are so many ways we can easily help, we just have to keep our eyes & ears open!  Spread the word today with your own ideas or actions.  And take off your shoes.  Walk a mile in their soles today :).


    3 comments:

    Miranda said...

    Awesome post!!! I too am without shoes today too. It was strange walking through my garage without shoes with all the oil stains on the ground. Yuck!!!

    Emilee Sutherland said...

    Love the new blog Erica! Keep the posts comin' =)

    Laura said...

    Love it and Love you Erica! And I love that you posted your blog on Chad proposing on my birthday - that made me smile.

    I so wanted to do this on the 8th but I was in Flag and was not willing to be barefoot in the 40 degree weather (call me uncommitted) and then we went onto the Indian Res and walked around an extremely sharp and rocky area called Grand Falls. I realized that what I did on the 8th REQUIRED shoes and people with out shoes have limited things they can do (like chase quickly after a child running towards the edge of the cliff to throw rocks off of) Thanks for the post...made me think a lot. Love you!