Thursday, July 15, 2010

Travel Writing: Who Knew!

At Biola, I wound up majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations - because I thought I would enjoy PR.  Turns out, I don't really enjoy PR or journalism.  So that made for a disappointing education.  It still disappoints me, because I thought I loved writing, and I thought maybe I wasn't too bad at it.  But hard news journalism is a whole different animal.  It's an ugly one, and it's scary and mean!  And I don't like it.  So I've stopped writing at all really.  Well, until now.

This summer I ended up taking an online journalism course called "travel writing".  I really had no idea what that entailed, but it sounded like something I might actually enjoy, so I went for it.  And it was wonderful!!  Here's what I wrote to my professor at the end of the course:

"I actually wanted to write you before this class closed and thank you. I have been exhausted by journalism courses for a long time, and was really disappointed that I ended up with that as my major because I don't seem to enjoy it... until I took this class! It was such a breath of fresh air and reminded me that I really do love writing, and even in a journalistic setting: just not "news" journalism. I feel inspired to start writing again and maybe even pursuing magazines or something similar. Thank you for making this class fun, and so interactive (more interactive than some of my in-person classes), and for encouraging me so much in my writing."

So I thought I would post some of my assignments here and open it up to critique.  They're all vignettes - short stories in first person talking about a place or experience... something you'd see in a travel magazine as a review of a bed & breakfast, or a little cafe somewhere, etc.  So really, critique away.  I want to get better at this!  Because I've just remembered that I really enjoy it! :)

No comments: