Thursday, July 15, 2010

Breakfast Vignette

“I really thought I saw a sign for it,” my sister mumbles on the other side of the phone. Neither of us can seem to find the Einstein’s Bagel Bros we planned to meet at for breakfast this morning. “Oh! There it is! Keep driving toward Seventh Street and go around the Verizon Store and – I see you!” She waves across the parking lot as I still squint to see where the Einstein’s is. I pull into a parking space and realize it’s right in front of me.

Somehow by the time I get inside Brittany already has her bagel and is perched on a chair by the door, waiting for me to walk in. I took much longer to decide on what I wanted; I always do. I settle for some sort of wrap and go to the register to pay. The man tells me I can grab a banana from the bin, and I look back at him with a very confused look on my face. I thought he was kidding, but by the look on his face, I decided that he wasn’t, and grabbed a banana before heading out the door. I don’t even really like bananas.

Our next stop is Starbucks, which is somewhere in this same parking lot. We climb back in our separate cars and drive in a few circles before parking and heading inside. As soon as we walk in the door, a blast of air conditioning hit us both in the face. It feels wonderful, considering it is already somewhere close to 100 degrees at ten in the morning. Brittany quickly jumps at the recently open cushy chairs in the corner of the room and I order an iced coffee. As I’m waiting for it to be ready, I think about how easily I can justify spending almost $5.00 on a single drink. Today, it’s because I have a long day of meetings ahead of me at work, and I’m very tired.

I settle into the chair opposite my sister and we start talking about nothing in particular, just the everyday things of life. Brittany quotes a movie, I finish her sentence, and we’re both immediately lost in giggles. We laugh together a lot. We give each other permission to be playful. I’m rather thankful for that. We laugh until its time for me to go to work. She pulls out her computer and starts working on her book. She’ll probably be here for a while longer. With her eyebrows already furrowed in thought, she mutters, “love you”, without looking up from the screen. “Love you, too”, I chuckle back and head out the door, realizing I never even took a bite of my breakfast.

No comments: