Tuesday, September 30, 2008

1.5 Years <3

Oh my goodness, I have so much to catch up on! I'll try not to be so detailed... I'll post one thing at a time here...


Thursday, September 11 was Chad & I's one and half year "anniversary". I know it seems like a silly amount of time to celebrate, but when you're just dating the little things really count. And it was the first thing we've gotten to really celebrate since we've been living in the same city! Anyway, I was instructed to get dressed up, so I did, and Chad came and picked me up. We headed to Laguna Beach, where we had been exactly a year before. Here's the story with that: last year Chad came out here to celebrate our 6 months of being together. He got reservations at this amazing little romantic Italian restaurant on PCH called Ti Amo, overlooking the ocean. As we were driving there we realized we might be a little bit late, so Chad called to let the hostess know and make sure it wasn't a problem. Come to find out, the power had gone out in their entire area, so they had to cancel the rest of their reservations for the night. It was so sad, because we were really excited to go to this place. We drove around for literally over an hour to find somewhere else to eat, and almost settled for some kind of fast food before we found a place that was barely still open. In any case, sweet Chad had made reservations for Ti Amo this year to make up for our disappointment. And we were not disappointed! It was beautiful, the food was amazing, the atmosphere was romantic... it was just wonderful.





After dinner, we tried to go to a Starbucks to keep the tradition going from last year, but they were all closed early - probably because it wasn't a weekend. Then we headed down PCH to find this neat beach we like, called the thousand steps. It really feels like a thousand steps to get down to it! And at night it's really dark and kind of dangerous. But maybe that's part of the adventure of it. It always takes a little searching to find exactly where the entrance is along the highway, and as we were scanning for it we got pulled over by a policeman. Chad's taillights were out! And the officer was very suspicious that we were going to a beach (even though we were in Laguna BEACH) - I think he was on a little bit of a power trip. But we finally got away from him (Chad only got a fix-it warning) and found our beach. We carefully made our way down all the steps to the sand.

Chad set up a blanket for us to sit on, lit a candle for me to read by, and handed me a letter. At the end of the letter he instructed us to read some Bible verses he had written down, so we did, and when we were done he washed my feet. It was so humbling and so powerful, I've never experienced anything like it. Last year, I washed his feet, and it filled me with overwhelming joy to do it. It was so different to be on the receiving end of things. I wish we made the effort to physically represent the things Jesus taught while he was on earth more often than we do. I think some of those things were meant to be repeated literally. In any case, it was an amazing night, and I can't imagine any better way to celebrate our relationship than to follow Jesus' example. God has blessed us with each other so tremendously, and we are so thankful.

No comments: