Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Endless Weekends...

My weekends have all been full of fun and adventures! It's like freshman year all over again! Okay, maybe not that extreme. But it's been a fun change of pace to actually do fun things again. Friday (the next day after Chad & I's date) early morning I picked up my wonderful friend Katherine from the airport. She went to Biola the past three years but is taking this semester to live at home in Scottsdale and take some General Ed classes at a JC there. If nothing else I'm sure it's saving here money! We headed to downtown Fullerton and found a cute little restaurant to have breakfast and catch up. We had such a great conversation; I got to hear all about what God has been teaching her over summer and how He's directing her now. It was incredible. I am so excited to see what comes out of those things in the next few months. She has a big heart for Indonesia and a water sports ministry she was able to be a part of there - they teach the kids how to swim and be safe in water so they won't fear it anymore (after the tragic tsunami). They're facing some financial trials right now that may cause the ministry to close down. If anyone is interested in supporting this ministry financially, please contact me. Otherwise, prayer is always needed and is something anyone can easily do to help. So keep Katherine and this ministry in mind, as well as the entire nation of Indonesia and what God is doing there.


Saturday morning, Chad and I got up early and packed his truck for the day - surfboards, wetsuits, longboards, drinks, snacks, camera, extra clothes, sweatshirts... we might as well have been packing for a week with the amount of stuff we fit in there! We headed down to San Onofre to meet up with the McFaddens and their youth group kids, who were spending the weekend camping and hanging out at the beach. It was a fun little trip down there together, and we are loving doing life together more and more as we get to experience it. We arrived and immediate jumped in the water to start teaching kids how to surf! It was a really fun day. The waves were great for beginners level and the weather was beautiful. Not to mention, the atmosphere at this surf beach is so different from anything I've ever experienced in surf culture before. I suppose that's because I haven't spent any time around long-boarders, but I had such a great time there. Everyone is so friendly and laid back; people share waves and look out for each other; beginners are everywhere and the veterans don't mind; there are little kids, old people, dogs, tents, games.... It was exactly how a surf culture atmosphere should feel. I loved it. I can't wait to go back!
















That night we had some s'mores and then headed back to Biola because we were tiiiired! Sunday morning we had an Impact (high school small group) training meeting at IHOP, which was really good, but really early! And then we all went to Canvas, Rolling Hills' contemporary service. It was alright. I didn't love it, but the message was good. After church Chad and I went out to lunch with the Knickerbockers (and Whitney) at California Pizza Kitchen, and that was really fun. I don't remember what else went on that Sunday, because by now it was a long time ago, but it was a really fun weekend!!

No comments: