Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Camp Alpine

Wednesday, the 17th, we had our first Impact groups! It was "old-school" Impact, meaning instead of having youth group and listening to Shawn speak to the whole group before breaking up, we only met with our groups in order to get comfortable around each other and so on before attempting to have deep and meaningful conversation. I had my girls meet me at the Keatings house, and although it started out kind of rough (a bunch of the girls got there before me, and no one was home to let them inside), it was a really fun night and I had a great time. We filled out info sheets, baked cookies, ate snacks, jumped on the trampoline, screamed about a giant spider, played Apples to Apples, played Guitar Hero, and just talked. It was really fun and comfortable, and I loooove my girls! They are so cute and funny and sweet. It's going to be a great year. Pray for them! And for me as I do my best to lead them to Jesus. Their names are: Alex, Alexa, Ally, Amanda, Brittany, Haleigh, Kaycee, Missy, Nat, Nicole, & Nicole.

---

Thursday night, family dinner was crazy. There were like 25 people at our apartment. We don't even know how that happened, but it was really fun!

---

Friday afternoon Chad's Dad, Bruce, flew in for a theology conference in Torrance. Chad and I drove out and met him for lunch, which was really fun! He is such a neat man, I learn so much from him whenever I get to be around him. And he's really intentional in conversation, if that makes sense. After lunch, they dropped me off at Cassi's house and the two of them went walking somewhere while Cass and I went down to the beach to "do homework" aka chat. We had some good conversation with our homework in our laps. Cassi looked up and suddenly started laughing - I thought it was at something I had said, but then I realized that Chad and Bruce were walking along the beach toward us! They had no idea we were there; it was really funny when they almost walked by. When they were done Chad met back up with us on the beach and we headed to the Keating's house to hang out with the family for a little bit. I loved the Keatings. I love being at their house. They're so warm and inviting and comfortable. They really are my family away from home. I am thankful for them.

---

Eventually Chad and I tore ourselves away from the fun Keating family and beautiful PV, and began yet another road trip together. We drove a few hours up north towards Big Bear (The only drive I've ever gotten car sick enough to get out of the car, when I was about 6. Well, make that twice now. Once when I was 6, and once when I was 21.) until we got to a little town called Blue Jay. We turned off at Alpine Camp, in the midst of beautiful pine trees and fresh air, and joined the Youth Ministries Staff Retreat. We had such a fun weekend! There was worship, speakers, reflection time, discussion sessions, good meals, new friendships, tea time with some incredible women, tons of games, and no sleep. It was just great. We loved it, we love the staff we're on, and we love the God we get to serve through it all! Sunday morning when the retreat officially ended, Chad and I decided to go into the town of Lake Arrowhead and just walk around for a bit while we had the chance to. We ran into a fellow Impact Leader, Rob, and hung out with him for a little bit. We spend a good amount of time sitting on a bench, people watching and enjoying the crisp air and gorgeous weather. It was a relaxing end to a packed weekend.

No comments: